Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My BionX ride last Sunday

My ride last Sunday

I drove my BionX electric bike over to a nearby trail on Sunday.  I was contemplating a ride from Farmington up to the Massachusetts state line, about 50 miles round trip.  It was sunny and warm, and I enjoyed the ride, heading through the towns of Avon and Simsbury. After an hour, I had covered 12 miles, and my butt was getting a little sore.  As I was pedaling, I came up with the idea for the article.  I was wearing a long-sleeve jersey, but I felt like I was getting sunburned,  I decided I had gone far enough, and that I would head back and write my article before heading out later in the evening.

I put a new seat on my bike a couple of months ago, but I think I need to look for one with a little more padding, because I seem to get "seat fatigue" after only 15 miles or so.  On the way back, I used the throttle on the electric drive a couple of times to "troll" up the trail at about 10 mph, standing up on the pedals for a minute or two without pedaling to ease the pressure on my seat.  I took a short detour to explore a condominium complex on the route, adding 2 extra hilly miles, bringing my total up to 26 miles.  The BionX could have carried me a lot farther, but when I got back to my car, I was pleasantly tired and happy to get out of the sun before I got overdone.
 
David

No comments:

Post a Comment